Tuesday 16 March 2010

Main Product




















This is the final version of my film poster ancillary text. After researching and analysing existing media texts, along with audience research, I applied the style and conventions of my genre of film to my poster in a way that would best reach my target audience.

The picture is a mid shot of the main character, I manipulated the image using Photoshop CS3 using various tools and filters, examples are the burn tool, blur tool, crop tool and magic wand. I have taken inspiration and techniques of the media texts I had analysed to create my poster. The style I have used is notable in the fact that it is of a red hue for the image, if you have a look at the media texts that I have previously looked at you will see that this is a running trend. I think this style works as it connotates danger.

The background is interesting as I have designed it to bring out the picture in a form of optical illusion, giving the character an almost 3D like quality. I achieved this by using a special filter to give the lined effect to the image, then using a copied layer of the character placed over the entire image without the lines. I highlighted the edging on him slightly for the full effect. The background I made sure to give it a blood like quality for the lines, almost as if from a hospital support machine. Finally I used a filter to make the tone change from dark to light with the darkness behind the character as if implying that he is looking towards the light and turning his back on the darkness.

For the main title, actor names and the plug I used the font “ Mastermind” from dafont.com. I placed each of these in conventional areas at varying sizes, an example of this can be seen in the comparison with the Three Kingdoms film poster from which I have taken its plug as inspiration for my own.

















(Note the sepia tone used in many film posters featuring violence)

The style of the font I chose as it gave a weathered strong feel, with the plug descending into the large title. The title contrasts greatly with the dark red background shading and allows for easy viewing by the audience, which is precisely what I want.


I then added the production company information and company logo at the bottom, I kept the information subtle with the use of a fade brush and a black faded background, this was a choice I made so that the viewer would not be distracted to much from the effect of the poster itself. The one exception to this is the Blog address which in a real film poster would be the link to the films website and naturally would have to be quiet visible to the audience.
The poster includes my own custom logo that is the same as the one featured in the film, this gives intertexuality/links among my products. to the audience.
Originally my film poster did not have a film rating, but as someone pointed out, the film could very well be an 18+ and so I went back and added a film rating for the film near the production information.



























For the date I intentionally made it the 10.10.2010 as this could be portrayed as symbolic and would make a good plug for audience interest, examples of this are “The Omen”, “2012” and “9”


Three Kingdoms poster taken from twitchfilm.net
The Omen poster taken from the wikipedia article about the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment