Tuesday 16 March 2010

Audience Research





For my audience research I have created a questionnaire for my target audience, this will help show me what they are mainly interested in, and what content I should work to including when designing my film poster.
I decided to make a questionnaire that could be mass produced to reach a large spectrum of people. The target audience for my trailer is of the 16 to 25 age range, so I chose to try and get those of that age to fill out my questionnaire. I opted out of doing an on line poll as the main audience would be bias towards the media related work I was doing, as they would of found the blogger due to its content. The questionnaire itself features roughly 50% quantitative questions and 50% qualitative questions.
I asked 11 people to do my questionnaire from outside of the collage. I did this with the hope of having a more adult take on the design of a film magazine front cover. I predict some variation depending on age difference within the parameters of my target audience’s age range. Out of the 11 people I gave my questionnaire to 8 of them was Male and 3 Female.
Much like the film poster questionnaire I asked the following quantitative questions; Age, gender, opinion on the most important feature and a choice of film magazine front cover. After I had gathered the completed questionnaires I tallied them up and made them into graphs using the Graph builder on nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph . The questionaire sheet was created in Microsoft word.

The results show that the 6 out of the 11 people were aged between 16-18, only 1 aged 19-21 and 4 aged 22+. The ratio of males to females is higher with 8 males to 3 females. While the genre is stereotypically for young males, it will be interesting to see what the female’s viewpoint is.

The results of the question “What in your opinion do you think is the most important feature of a Magazine front cover” came out with multiple equalities. The title and colour had the same amount of choices and also where most popular choices, followed by production information and then a three way tie between imagery effects and colours with a choice each. This helps me correlate what the more mature end of my target audience looks for in a film front cover and how I can apply that to my design to attract these people.

The final quantitative question posed to the people who undertook my questionnaire was which film magazine cover did they prefer; The Empire issue with Megan Fox on the cover scored more choices compared to the Terminator Salvation cover with 7 choices to 4. This result shows me the style which appeals most to my target audience, and thus I will try to strengthen that in my own work.

I also incorporated Qualitive questions into my questionnaire such as “What interests you about a film magazine front cover?” and “When you see a magazine cover, what grabs your interest the most”. The feedback I got from this data had greater detail then my past questionnaires as the people spent more time writing the information, an example is as follows.

“What interests you about a film magazine front cover?”

“The thing that interests me most is the way it’s presented, if it is easy to read and keeps your attention then I feel compelled to read more of the magazine”


This feedback and the rest of my research I will review on my Questionnaire sheets while in the creating process of my film magazine front cover.






No comments:

Post a Comment